National Walk Your Dog Month
January is National Walk Your Dog Month!!! There is no better time than the beginning of the new year for you and your dog to get moving! Here are 10 reasons why you and your dog should get moving today:
- Dog walking provides an outlet for your dogs energy. Dogs build up a certain amount of energy every day that needs to be expended. If that energy is not expended your dog may find other ways to expend energy through bad or destructive behavior or they may become anxious.
- Dog walking aids greatly in training your dog. Draining energy results in a calmer, satisfied and more submissive dog that is more likely to focus on training.
- Dog walking will fulfill your dogs natural roaming and exploring instincts. In nature dogs will roam for miles searching for food and water.
- Dog walking will provide mental and physical stimulation for your dog.
- Dog walking provides much needed social interaction. Socialization is an important part of your dogs life. While walking your dog will encounter other people, children and other dogs. This will help to build your dogs confidence and social skills.
- If you have more than one dog, walking them together will allow your dogs to bond.
- Dog walking will expose your dog to more of the world and make them more confident and stable. A dog who is walked will be more comfortable around bicycles, traffic, loud noises and other people.
- Dogs are social and love attention – walking your dog gives you a chance to give your dog attention and interact with them.
- Regular dog walking can lengthen and improve the quality of life for your dog.
- Best of all – a walking buddy will get you out and moving and keep you healthy and in shape!!!