Summer Safety Tips for Pets

summer dogWe all love spending the long, sunny days of summer outdoors with our pets, but we have to be careful with our pets in the hot weather. Here are some summer safety tips to keep you pet safe this summer:
Provide fresh drinking water at all times, indoors and outdoors.
Safe outdoor temperatures for pets vary by breed and size.
Dogs with “stubby” noses or what’s known as brachealcephalic, can’t cool down as fast or as good as one with a longer snout.
Do not walk/ exercise your pet mid day. Heat from the sun not only beats down on you and your dog but also concrete or asphalt. If your hand cannot remain a few seconds on the pavement without you removing it, then your pet’s feet should not be on it!   Burns can occur and severely damage the bottom paw pads, this can be very painful and result in your pet’s inability to walk, or stand. Be aware that they cannot verbalize that they/ or their feet are too hot.

Continue…

Summer Pet Safety Tips

is your pet safe this summer - fairgorunds animal hospitalThere are many things to think about this summer in terms of keeping your pet safe. Here are some summer pet safety tips that we here at Fairgrounds Animal Hospital hope will keep your pets happy, healthy and having fun:

Do You Take Your Pet Camping or Hiking?

Great! Please make sure they are covered when it comes to ticks and heartworms. There are most likely mosquitoes where you are pitching your tent, and mosquitoes are the carrier for heartworm that can be life threatening for dogs and cats. Ticks have been seen in our area, and are certainly in the mountains and forests. If a tick is on your dog for more than 24 hours, it can transmit disease.  Continue…

Holiday Pet Safety

holiday-pet-safety    The big holidays are coming, which means special consideration should be taken for our pets and holiday pet safety, since they can experience something drastically different than we do during the merriment of our celebrations. Trick-or-treaters and loud parties can be scary, the thanksgiving turkey on the table can be tempting, well-intentioned guests can give scraps under the table, and Christmas tree lights can present a danger to our pets. Here are a few holiday pet safety tips to keep your cat or dog safe and happy during the holiday season! First, make sure your pet has a safe retreat for holiday parties and Halloween night. Pets are attached to their secure environment and having that intruded upon can sometimes be over stimulating or induce anxiety. Even if your pet is happy to join the festivities, keep a special calm, quiet corner or room available for them that has a comfy crate or bed to hideaway in, food and water, and familiar toys and treats. Visit them a few times during the bustle and give them some love. You are their protector and the leader of their pack, and if you show everything is ok it can help reassure your nervous pet. Continue…

The Dangerous Pink Drink – Pets and Antifreeze

By: Dr. Katie Cox – Fairgrounds Animal Hospital

Antifreeze or ethylene glycol is a common winter necessity for many people in the fall and winter months. While it helps keep pipes and cars from freezing, it is a toxic and sometimes lethal fluid for many animals, including dogs, cats, poultry and cattle. Due to the sweet taste and the fact that it remains in a liquid form in the cold temperatures, many animals (mostly dogs and cats) ingest the liquid or walk through it and then later lick their paws. A small amount of this liquid can be deadly to our furry friends. As little as ½ of a teaspoon is toxic to an 8-pound cat. A toxic dose for a 60-pound dog is 1.3 teaspoons.

Ethylene glycol is broken down into several components in the body that cause severe kidney damage which can quickly progress to kidney failure. Many times, dogs and cats will show clinical signs within hours of ingestion of the liquid. It has also been shown that absorption of the fluid through the skin can be poisonous in cats. The most common signs that dogs and cats exhibit are very similar to those of an intoxicated person. Pets may vomit, walk around as though they are drunk, drink and urinate excessively and become dehydrated very quickly. Within 12-24 hours in cats and 36-72 hours in dogs, animals may stop urinating, exhibit vomiting, diarrhea, excessive salivation, have difficulty breathing and even experience seizures or become comatose.  Any animal that is seen drinking antifreeze or is suspected of drinking it needs immediate veterinary care. There is not an over the counter treatment that owners can administer at home. If you see or suspect that your animal has ingested antifreeze, call your veterinary office right away. Please be candid about the possible ingestion. Our job as a veterinary clinic is not to make assumptions, but to treat your pets to the best of our ability. The best way we can do that is by knowing what we are treating. 

To prevent antifreeze ingestion in your animals, keep it high on a shelf and away from any place they can jump to. If the garage is a warm place for your animals to stay, make sure they cannot reach it or knock it over. Check frequently for any leaks in the bottle or areas where it is used in the household. We care for your animals and want everyone to have a safe and happy winter!

posted in:  Pet Safety

The Value of the Microchip

Though only the size of a grain of rice, this device implanted under the skin can, believe it or not, save your pet’s life. Studies have shown that approximately 75% of pets that were lost were returned to their owners because they could identify the pet and owner from the pet microchip. As owners, we cannot guarantee our pet will get lost, however we can have some comfort knowing that a permanent identification is available for when they are found. In the U.S., 1 in every 3 pets in their lifetime will get lost. A simple administration by the doctor or staff at our veterinarian office can reunite you once again.

Fireworks: Terrifying for Pets

Fireworks: Awesome for Humans, Terrifying for Pets

Tips for keeping your dogs, cats and other pets safe and happy during summer celebrations. Many people enjoy the booming sounds and flashing lights of fireworks, but they can be terrifying and overwhelming for pets, and possibly hazardous. On the Fourth of July, so many pets are frightened and try to escape the sites and sounds that animal shelters around the nation report a dramatic increase in lost pets during the holiday. Continue…